Rosie Kay Dance Company are looking for nine strong, exciting, diverse and unique dancers for a new, contemporary, Birmingham based dance theatre version of Romeo + Juliet. The show will premiere at Birmingham Hippodrome where RKDC is an Associate Company. Set today, this Romeo + Juliet explores the ups and downs of two groups of young people, as they negotiate the police and long held rivalry, with a love that conquers and divides.
We are looking for:
- South Asian male and female dancers
- Black male and female dancers
Dancers need these qualities:
- Applicants must have completed full time professional dance training or have an equivalent level of dance experience.
- Strong dance skill in one or several of the following: contemporary dance, ballet, street dance, breakdance, hip hop, Kathak, Bharatanatyam, Bollywood, Bhangra.
- Performance experience
- Fit, strong and high stamina levels
- Good acting ability
- Team player
- Positive attitude, hardworking and willing to contribute to a healthy, fun touring company atmosphere
- Applicants must be aged 18 or above
- Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK. RKDC is unable to sponsor work visas. If you have any queries about this please contact email@example.com before applying.
- The project is funded and scheduled however dates may have to change depending on the current Covid-19 situation and government regulation. All rehearsals and production will take place in Birmingham.
- Rehearsals: various R&D days 1 – 18 Dec 2020, 18 Jan – 5 Feb 2021, 1 – 12 Mar 2021
- Production and premiere: 15 – 18 Mar 2021
- Touring: part weeks to be confirmed over 19 Mar to 1 May 2021
- Equity/Independent Theatre Council Ethical Manager Contract: £494 per week for rehearsals and £520 per week for touring plus holiday pay, rehearsal accommodation, all travel and accommodation on tour plus per diem.
Three South Asian dancers:
- Romeo: male, the hero of our story, he is young, slim, fit and charismatic. Playing age 17-19 years old. He has an easy smile and is liked by his friends. Secretly a romantic, he writes his own poetry but keeps that hidden.
- Merc: could be male or female, they’re the joker of the group, Romeo’s best friend, disrupts ideas of gender and sex within the community, big performer and able to duck and dive. Playing age 17-21 years old.
- Rosa: female, Rosa likes to know what’s going on and tries to keep control of the boys, a little vulnerable, she doesn’t know when she’s being used. Playing age 16-20 years old.
Three Black dancers:
- Juliet: female, the heroine of our story, she is strong, athletic but a little naive and unaware of her power. She is ambitious and she sees her future outside of this city, she is fiercely independent and her own woman with her own mind. Playing age 16-19 years old.
- Tybalt: male, Juliet’s big brother, he is a big guy, a strong man, who likes to treat his little sis as a princess. He is a dominator, fierce, clever and not afraid to use his physical presence over others. Likes to show his power. Playing age 20-25 years old.
- LJ: male, is young-looking, and he is a go-between. Small, skinny and cheeky, he can disappear or sneak about and go unseen. He looks young and sweet, but underneath he’s a mean manipulator. Playing age 15-17 years old.
How to apply
Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest.